The people make the place
Members work out of the Office, contribute to the culture, organize events, and create uncommissioned works – while also running their own independent professional practice. Membership is required to have regular access to the space.
John is Founder/Director of The Design Office and an Assoc. Professor in the Graphic Design Dept. at RISD
Emanuel is a Founding Partner of an architecture practice called AD-WO and an Assistant Professor at the Rhode Island School of Design.
Jen is a Founding Partner of an architecture practice called AD-WO. Jen works with Emanuel, and together they explore the discipline’s content and container.
Lucy is a graphic design professor at RISD, designs books for museums, and investigates the interaction of type, narrative, and urban space.
Ruben is a developer who collaborates with designers on network software, from inception to completion.
Nic is a systems designer and computer scientist is part of Occupant Fonts.
Cyrus is a graphic artist, type designer, and teacher. He runs Occupant Fonts.
Cem (“Jem/Gem”) is a type/graphic designer. He is part of Occupant Fonts. His favorite color is yellow.
Marie Otsuka is a designer, web developer, and educator. She likes languages, triads, and the Oxford comma. She is part of Occupant Fonts.
Afro-Latina= Planner & Project Manager/ M.S. in Urban Planning & Community Development
How to join
- Review membership types
- Email us a brief statement about why you want to join and how you plan to use the space.
- Include CV/Bio and a link to your work
- Current members review the info and invite potential members in for a chat
- Said chat occurs. We let you know asap.
Who makes a good member?
- Those working in design or complementary field (where tools, working style, community are similar to design)
- Those who see design as part of the arts
- Those looking for long-term community and continuous learning
- Those who thrive with others around
- Current students will not be considered for membership. Fellowships are designed for recent graduates.
|Weekly time cap||None||20 hours|
|Work space||Own desk||Shared desk|
|Cancellation notice||2 months||2 months|
|Minimum Membership||3 months||3 months|
|BW printing included||Yes||Some|
|Color printing included||Yes||No|
|Flat file storage||Yes||No|
Company memberships are an option when an individual membership is not sufficient
Rates are dependent on amenities needed.
Larger companies may also sponsor an employee’s membership instead of a home-office situation